Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Gift

I instantly fell in love with it the moment it first appeared in front of me wrapped in a colorful gift pack. It was a beautiful angel and brought with it an exciting world ahead. I would sing and dance with it and was happy for no particular reason.

I slowly became familiar with all its demands, its likes and dislikes. I did all that was in my control to make it happy. Its dissatisfaction grew and I toiled day after day to meet with its demands. It gave a devilish look each time any of its demands was not fulfilled…It was an angel all the same.

One fine day I noticed its small feet that were slowly growing. I realized instantly that it would leave me when it's time comes. I clung to it and cried inconsolably. I experienced fear and sorrow of losing it like never before.

With time it’s demands grew larger. It developed strong feelings about everything. I loved all that appealed to it and hated thoroughly what it did not like. I became aggressive and hostile to anything it disliked. I saw people kill others and get killed to obey the commands of their little gifts. Without any hesitation I followed them. I grabbed more and more of what it asked me to get but could not bring satisfaction. It was no longer the angel that I was once familiar with – it had taken an ugly form!! I loved it all the same. I feared immensely each day as I saw its feet grow. I was no more happy.

The time that I feared most finally arrived. It was ready to leave me anytime. I pleaded it to stay a little longer. I suffered miserably but yet desperately tried to fulfill its demands. It was no more beautiful and I cursed it. But I could not let it go anyway.

4 comments:

Harmanjit Singh said...

The awareness of time makes us fear for what suffering lies ahead... and thus the present is sullied, no?

In that sense animals and less brainy people are happier, I guess, they don't know the long-in-future consequences of their desires and acts.

Anonymous said...

'the gift' for me is the insatiable life. the gift i can't enjoy but can't let go. the gift am afraid of losing anytime. but i guess each of us has our own personal gifts to reckon with.

Tushar said...

superlyk...
:)

Anonymous said...

we do our job which nature assinged to us, willingly or unwillangly to run its show. just apprecitate the freedom during the game.